Certification Track and Consultation
Becoming a Certified Gottman Therapist is the final step in your journey toward becoming a career couples therapist. You will master how to help couples create greater meaning and connection in their relationships, and you will expand and reinforce your understanding of Gottman Method Couples Therapy, building off of everything you’ve learned through your training and clinical work to date.
When you start the Certification Track, you will be matched with a Senior Certified Gottman Therapist who will coach you through the certification process and help you implement Gottman Method Couples Therapy successfully in your practice. After completing the certification process, you will:
- Earn the distinct title of Certified Gottman Therapist
- Be eligible to work as a roving therapist at The Art and Science of Love workshop, enabling you to help couples as they work through conflict management exercises
- Receive a discounted listing on the Gottman Referral Network, which provides credibility to your practice, helps to channel new clients your way, and allows you to promote and market yourself as certified by The Gottman Institute
- Be eligible to attend sponsored events and local gatherings to participate in the larger Certified Gottman Therapist community
- Gain access to a private Facebook group where you can connect with your colleagues
- Be eligible to lead your own events with additional training, including:
◦ Level 1 Trainings in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
◦ Level 2 Trainings in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
◦ Level 3 Trainings in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
◦ The Art and Science of Love workshops for couples
We strongly encourage you to enter the Certification Track immediately after completing the Level 3 Training and begin working with your assigned consultant. You will have a maximum of two years to enter the Certification Track following your Level 3 Training. After you enroll, you have a maximum of two years to submit videos for final review and to become certified. Please refer to our policies, terms and conditions for further information.
While you may submit your application anytime, applications are processed quarterly on the following dates:
- February 1
- May 1
- August 1
- November 1
Prerequisites for the Certification Track
- Completion of Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 Training (You will have a maximum of two years to enter the Certification Track following your Level 3 Training)
- Completion of Treating Affairs and Trauma and Couples and Addiction Recovery
- A Master’s or Doctoral degree in a mental health field
- A minimum of 1000 hours of postgraduate therapy experience
- Licensure or certification in a mental health related field*
- Malpractice Insurance ($1M per incident and $3M aggregate)
*Individual must be able to provide therapy independent of a supervisor.
The Gottman Institute assigns a consultant to you when you enter the Certification Track. Julie Sharon-Wagschal is one of the Institute’s consultants and can be requested upon registration.
There will be ample opportunity to ask questions and receive input about all phases of working with couples, from assessment and treatment planning through selecting and implementing appropriate interventions for each client’s unique needs. In order to complete certification requirements, you must:
- Complete a minimum of 8 hours of individual consultation (45 minutes) OR 12 hours of group consultation (50 – 90 minutes)
- Have all four (4) of your video segments reviewed by your consultant
- Pay the consultation fees (payable to your consultant)
Note: The consultant may determine that more consultation is necessary to meet the requirements.
Consultation fees are € 135 excl. 21% VAT per hour. Appointments that are not cancelled at least 24 hours in advance will be charged in full.
Becoming a Certified Gottman Therapist is the final step in your journey toward becoming a career couples therapist. You can find the Certification Track application here.
Next to consultation (which is only for Certification Track participants), Julie provides regular supervision to couples therapists that use the Gottman Method in their work with clients. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment for supervision. Fees are € 135 excl. 21% VAT per hour. Appointments that are not cancelled at least 24 hours in advance will be charged in full.